Starting a photography business can be an exciting and rewarding venture, but it can also be overwhelming and challenging. To ensure that you have everything you need to get started, here are ten things you need to start a photography business:
- A camera: This may seem obvious, but you need a high-quality camera that can produce professional-grade images. Invest in a camera that fits your needs and budget, and that can handle a variety of shooting situations. I started with a Canon EOS 6D and it was perfect for my needs at the time. It’s a great beginner camera, easy to navigate the settings, and has been durable and long-lasting.
However, this is not a dual slot camera and it is a DSLR as opposed to mirrorless.
Because of those two cons, I switched over to Sony a7iii and I have LOVED it. Dual slot, mirrorless, tilted screen and I have loves transitioning to video. If I could recommend any camera it would be this one. https://amzn.to/40jdNEC
- Lenses: Different lenses will allow you to capture different types of shots. Invest in a range of lenses, including a wide-angle lens, a portrait lens, and a zoom lens. Let me say one thing. In my opinion, it matters not which camera body you have, as long as you have incredible lenses. I have used a Canon EF 24-70mm and it was so convenient to have. Here’s the link here if you want to check out the one I bought from amazon. https://amzn.to/3n3SMzr.Once I switched to sony I went back to my roots and purchased two prime lenses. I’ll tell you what, the Sigma 85 mm has my heart! The photos are so clear and have an incredible bokeh that is to die for. Here’s a link to where I bought it and a photo I took with it below:
- Tripod: A tripod will help you stabilize your camera and get sharp shots, especially when shooting in low light or long exposures.
- Lighting equipment: Proper lighting is essential for capturing high-quality images. Invest in lighting equipment, such as a softbox or a ring light, to achieve professional-looking shots. I have a set that has been incredibly reliable and in my two years of owning it, none of the tools have broken or worn. Here’s a link if you need it! https://amzn.to/3TFkAq5
- Editing software: Once you’ve captured your images, you’ll need to edit them to enhance their quality. Invest in editing software like Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom to give your photos a polished look.
- Business plan: A business plan will help you define your goals, target market, marketing strategy, and financial projections. It will also help you stay focused and accountable as you build your business.
- Legal considerations: Register your business, obtain the necessary permits and licenses, and familiarize yourself with tax laws and regulations in your area. This will help you avoid legal issues down the line.
- Website: A professional website is crucial for showcasing your work, attracting potential clients, and establishing credibility. Ensure that your website is easy to navigate, visually appealing, and mobile-friendly.
- Portfolio: A strong portfolio will showcase your skills and give potential clients an idea of your style and approach. Curate a selection of your best work and display it prominently on your website.
- Marketing plan: A marketing plan will help you reach your target market and attract new clients. Consider advertising on social media platforms, attending local events, and building relationships with other businesses in your industry.